Saturday, September 7, 2013

Book 3 of 30: Bossypants by Tina Fey

One Two words: Sarcastically FUNNY.

I will be honest and say that all I know about Tina Fey is that she "impersonates" Sarah Palin in SNL. I haven't even watched an entire show of SNL (I know, I know) and the only episode that I've watched is JT's dick in a box because Alex kept laughing hard while telling me about it and was able to convince me to watch the said episode in youtube (and if you are wondering, yes, I laughed so hard after watching the video). So when I saw my well-read friend's list of books that she is recommending for me to read, I was quite surprised to see this book because I had no idea that Tina has already written a book. I even asked her about it and she said that she is HIGHLY recommending it so needless to say, this book made it to my list :)

If you are the type of person who judges the book by its cover, you will not be accused
of wrongly judging this book! (Ooops, sorry for the background :D )

This book was a very light read and really, really funny! Proof is that I've finished reading it in just a few days. Finishing a book in "just a few days" says a lot about how I've enjoyed it. In my kind of profession where TONS (and I mean TONS) of paperwork are waiting to be prepared, read and checked, I must have enjoyed a book for it to lure me to finish it before my pile of work :)
 
The book is a collection of autobiographical essays and will give you a glimpse of Tina's ups and downs. However, I never felt that she was being proud or boastful of her achievements nor feeling pitiful in her down moments because she was able to write things in a sarcastically funny way :) This may sound ridiculous but since I was so used with laughing, I expected that I will laugh at every line that she wrote. Thus, the result was I overanalyzed on some very few parts when she was actually serious! Hahaha!  :D The other disadvantage (for me at least) is that since the book was mostly written in the context of the western setting, I am quite sure that I missed the "inside jokes" on some people, events and/or places mentioned. There has got to be something funny in there! :D
 
My favorite part would be the one of the very very few "serious" moments in the book (well, serious compare to the other parts!) when she discussed about:
 
 
I've watched quite a few Improv shows (courtesy of my friend whose boyfriend is part of SPIT/ Silly People's Improv Theater) and their humor is way, way, way different and far from the numerous funny shows (ex. Vice Ganda shows) that are popular in the local television now. I was amazed with how these people (from Improv) think. One has to be quick, witty, smart and funny (but not in a slapstick-y way) to be able to survive in an Improv show. It actually made me think of participating in one of their workshops to develop my personality (who knows I might join them once I've finally mustered enough courage and guts). Just imagine facing an audience without memorizing a script because the flow of the show will depend on the audience responses! Whew! :) The rules of improvisation seen in the photo does not only apply to improvisation but to life as well. In a world where being right equates to being powerful, it is becoming difficult to say YES because we always want to prove our point (myself included) by negating someone else's point. Got my point? Haha! :D
 
Don't we just love funny people?
 
Being funny is the new sexy!
 
Now, how do I become funny? :p
 
You will see this in all my books because years from now
these labels will make me smile and remember good
things :)
 
 
 
 
  

1 comment:

  1. I am meaning to read this book!! Maybe when I'm done with my tons of books in line for reading. May we have enough free time to read more books! :)

    ReplyDelete