Saturday, August 31, 2013

Book 2 of 30: Anna Karenina by Leo Tolstoy

Finally!!! After the easy breezy first book on my list came the medyo nakaka-nosebleed na second book! :D I actually planned it like that. I mean if you check my list you will notice that the books are quite diverse in genre. Some books are classic, some are "light", others inspirational or "religious". I want the "light" books to give me the break in between reading the "heavy" ones :)



Whoever recommended this book must be secretly mad at me! Aba e una, sobrang kapal at liliit ng sulat ha! Pangalawa, I had to consult my dictionary (thank God that I have the electronic one so I don't have to carry a thick dictionary around!) from time to time  for words that I don't know! :D

I will not even attempt to summarize most especially analyze and/or do a book review for the fear of misinterpretation. Like what I said in my entry about Book 1, I believe that each person has his own interpretation of the book that he reads. The highlights for me may not necessarily be the highlights for other people. The "scenes" that left a mark on me may just be usual scenes for other readers.

In a nutshell, I would say that Anna Karenina is a story about love (moral or immoral), religion and one's ability/desire to analyze and understand things, among others. Since reading for me is an escape and an opportunity to have a "field trip", this book brought me to the different part of the globe and on a totally different timeline at that (days when carriage/horses are still used as mode of transportation!). The book also left me questioning, analyzing and challenging my views on the important aspects of my life.

I now know why this is considered a classic.

PS:
I would rather not give you even the gist of the story.
Aba noh, basahin nyo rin ang 940 pages na font 9 ata
para bawi bawi lang! :p

NEXT BOOK: Something light.... Bossy Pants by Tina Fey

No comments:

Post a Comment